[Techtalk] OT but I'm desperate.... Windows....!

Michelle Howson a.howson at student.unsw.edu.au
Thu Oct 17 03:56:37 EST 2002

logs, thanks.

Onwards...

>This is a common problem with dommed Windblows. The #1 cause of this
>behavior
>is a flaky power supply. Instead of slowing down when the power sags,
>Windblows loses its mind and reboots. If you are handy with a multimeter,
>you
>can try doing some hot-testing to see if the PS is delivering steady,
>correct
>voltage.

Grrrrr.  Reading this, and what everyone else is saying, I think we've hit
the nail on the head.  I live in an old building, and in my room I have
just one power outlet.  Everything...everything...runs off that.  I have no
other option, aside from stringing a 10m cable in from...um...hang on, the
whole appartment is bereft of power points.  Tis horrible.  Arg.  Um....but
on the upside, I'm possibly moving out in the next 2 months, so if I can
find a quick fix, all could be well.

I don't own anything of the right kind to check this sort of thing, but
once normal daylight hours roll around I'll start making some calls, and
hopefully I can find out if that is it.  It makes sense.  I mean, I know
windows is shocking, but for a new install to be crashing so much just
seemed wrong to me.  And since the printer is drawing it's power from the
same point, it stands to reason that with windows' power issues (grrrr) it
would just crash.