[Techtalk] NO Start

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Wed Oct 16 09:27:05 EST 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Andrew wrote:

> 	It's nice to know I am not alone, it is also nice to be back
> at my familiar Mac keyboard. The speed of this Mac is something to
> experience since using a current up to date Linux based CPU. I almost
> need to wait between keystrokes for the Mac to catch up.
> 	I shorted the CMOS and found it was not the cause. I was able
> to do the BIOS from scratch still, it stops after failing to load the
> eth0.

Andrew ---

You should be able to boot into single-user mode and turn off those cards.

You may want to turn all of the network cards off at boot and then start
them up later if you are having a lot of trouble with them.

The configurations for your ethernet cards are in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

There is an ifcfg-<interface> for all of your cards.

In those files, change ONBOOT=yes to ONBOOT=no.  That will get it booting.
When you're done editing your files you can reboot or "init 3" or "init 5"
to get the machine to boot up the rest of the way.  (3 is for non-gui
login, 5 is for gui login).

> 	It is my guess a complete re-install would work, as you
> described. I have a few things I'd rather save if possible.
> 	If I don't get an answer by tomorrow I guess I will need to
> start from scratch format and all. I feel this will work, but would
> really like to know why. Why this setting is stuck...? Kudzu does not
> "speak-up". Is it kudzu or kuduz?

kudzu is a hardware detection tool.  It finds hardware on the first boot
after the hardware is installed.  It won't ask you about old hardware
unless it has been removed.

HTH

--mandi