[Techtalk] .EXE

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 12 09:14:17 EST 2002

	Guess I could load wine from the CD? Other ..unzip etc do not seem to
work.
	Aah yes, I am familiar with mc, one of these day I'll get the book on
it.

Progress so far,,,,
[andrew at Linux1 Tempdeskfile]$ wine sl114.exe
bash: wine: command not found
[andrew at Linux1 Tempdeskfile]$ unzip sl114.exe
Archive:  sl114.exe
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of sl114.exe or
        sl114.exe.zip, and cannot find sl114.exe.ZIP, period.
[andrew at Linux1 Tempdeskfile]$

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 18:24:10 +0000
Alvin Goats <agoats at compuserve.com> wrote:

> There are several possibilities on the .exe file:
>
> The file is an executable binary that just has .exe as the filename
> (i.e. pkzip for linux is pklin251.exe, a linux executable self
> extracting file).
>
> The file is an lha or pkzip executable file that can be extracted by
> using lha -x *.exe or unzip *.exe.

	Tried both no luck.

> The file is a DOS executable. Get dosemu and install on your computer.
> If it IS a DOS executable, then run dosemu, change "drive" to d:,
> change directory to where the file is and execute the file.

	dosemu?? What's that?

> If the file is Windows only executable, get wine, and run 'wine
> *.exe'.

	I'll try that next.

> As for odd numbered kernels: they are the development/experimental
> kernels and are subject to crashes and incompatabilites. If you're
> daring, go ahead. Otherwise wait for the feature to show up on an even
> numbered kernel (2.4, 2.6, 3.0...).

	I am not "that" brave. I just read the driver I need is in 2.5+
	Its for an onboard sound chip or onBoard ethernet, (I forgot, need
to check my notes.). Does any one think it might be better to wait? Is
2.5 going for a release soon? as 2.6 0r 3.0?

> When I encounter something like an .exe in linux, I start by running
> midnight commander (mc) and viewing the file (set the highlight cursor
> on the file and press F3 or click on F3 on the bottom of the
> console/screen). Page down and look for ascii txt that may tell what
> type of file it is.
>

> Alvin

	Thank You,
	Andrew