[Techtalk] .EXE

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sat Oct 12 18:24:10 EST 2002

There are several possibilities on the .exe file:

The file is an executable binary that just has .exe as the filename
(i.e. pkzip for linux is pklin251.exe, a linux executable self
extracting file).

The file is an lha or pkzip executable file that can be extracted by
using lha -x *.exe or unzip *.exe.

The file is a DOS executable. Get dosemu and install on your computer.
If it IS a DOS executable, then run dosemu, change "drive" to d:, change
directory to where the file is and execute the file.

If the file is Windows only executable, get wine, and run 'wine *.exe'.

As for odd numbered kernels: they are the development/experimental
kernels and are subject to crashes and incompatabilites. If you're
daring, go ahead. Otherwise wait for the feature to show up on an even
numbered kernel (2.4, 2.6, 3.0...).

When I encounter something like an .exe in linux, I start by running
midnight commander (mc) and viewing the file (set the highlight cursor
on the file and press F3 or click on F3 on the bottom of the
console/screen). Page down and look for ascii txt that may tell what
type of file it is.

Alvin