[Techtalk] editorial comments in config files

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Sun Nov 3 17:29:53 EST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 10:40:15AM -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I was poking through my own autostart files, look what KDE's says:
> Comment=Autorun - the CD-ROM mounter for the lazy user

Do you think it's possible the writer means "lazy" in a
laziness-as-virtue way that many programmers espouse?  If the writer
mean to be offensive, I'd think he or she could have thought of some
much nastier language than "lazy."

If I'm feeling particularly charitable, I might even suspect that
the writer is a good user interface designer, keeping in mind that
the user should have to do no more work than absolutely necessary
for a program to work in an expected way.  In that case, I think the
programmer *should* think of the user as being "lazy" in the sense
that the program should serve the user rather than the user serving
the program!

Of course, this is all speculation.  I've got no idea what the
writer's intended meaning was.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://katie-and-rob.org/