[Techtalk] NIC+Kernel

caitlynmaire at earthlink.net caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon May 27 04:23:32 EST 2002

Hi,

> Well, I am here to hack my kernel to get my NIC detected in RHL 7.2
> (2.4.7).
>
> The problem is I can't find the - #/usr/src/menuconfig & there's
> nothing called /usr/src/linux-2.4.X...the other commands are also not
> being taken...
>
> Can anyone suggest me what should I do to hack my kernel for this
> particular matter?

It sounds like your kernel-source package is not installed.  You can
confirm this with:

rpm -q kernel-source

Once that is installed everything you need will be there.

One other thing:  I would upgrade your kernel to 2.4.9-31 first.  There
are a number of serious vulnerabilities in the 2.4.7 kernel which
shipped with Red Hat 7.2.  You can download the newer rpms from:

ftp://update.redhat.com

All the best,
Caity