[Techtalk] Getting rid of Aurora

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Sat May 11 01:03:44 EST 2002

complaints to: /dev/null

hi Tabatha,

> Miriam,
>
> Wow, that really bites!
>
> I know someone who participates a great deal in Mandrake forums.  I'm going
> to send him an email and see if he can tell me something about this.
>
> I'll do my best to get you a fast answer, but of course that depends on how
> fast he replies!
>
> Hopefully someone will figure it out in the meantime.

that'd be brilliant - i'm sure its not just me.. i dont tend to use Mandrake Control Centre a lot becaue i tend to edit files myself... but im sure i couldnt see any mention of Aurora at all...
yeah, its not good... the sort of thing that puts off 'serious' users when things get a little too cosy and user-friendly... then again, im not against userfriendliness (hey, i work on a mac at my uni! ;-), but its nice to be able to disable it :-)

> I haven't messed with 8.2, unfortunately I haven't heard a lot of good
> things, and this seems to be another one of those tweaky things that scare me
> from leaving 8.1, which has been quite faithful to me, despite the fact that
> Mandrake looks like they are going under...(sigh)...

8.2 is nice, i got it because it has the latest libs, i was finding my 8.0 libs were outdated and i never got round to getting 8.1.... other than the Aurora stuff i like it in general...
i'll try removing the 'quiet' option, that might help... especially while working on these kernels....

oh yes, btw, latest kernel story is i still had problems with 2.5.1 - this time i got it all installed and booted up - and no screen... it somehow wasnt happy with my laptop screen.... i've decided to try 2.5.9 which i d/l'ed today, because it has ALSA compiled into the kernel... saves me all the hassle of installing and configuring it... and i just can't wait to give it a try! i'm really impressed with the support thats coming out now for high-end soundcards :-) (thats my 'day job - i'm an electronic music composer... which was why i got interested in GNU/linux)...

> Ok, I'm off to email my friend about disabling Aurora!
>
> Talk to you soon,
> Tab

seeya

miriam