[Techtalk] Re: [Issues] Klez

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu May 9 13:05:32 EST 2002

>Anyone feel like posting a "How to examine mail headers" howto or
>link?
>
>It occurs to me that with Klez rampant, we are all going to get
>lots of practice at this...

My favourite header for Klez is the Return-Path: which *seems* to actually
give me the correct email address.  At least, this is the email address
that jives with the rest of the headers.  (As in, if the mail seems to have
come from MyDomain.com and the header says Return-Path: <Amy at MyDomain.com>
then I figure it's likely that Amy is the viral carrier at the moment, not
whoever the From: address appears to be.)

Unfortunately, this is one of the headers eaten by mailman when someone
sends a virus to *-admin at linuxchix.org, but it comes through just fine when
they're sent for moderation.  Unfortunately, I didn't really keep a list of
such addresses, so I don't really know who the culprits on linuxchix are
aside from the 6 addresses I dumped into a temporary file one day as I was
doing moderations:
         <montgomery at inbox.ru>
         <ILNORMAN at PRODIGY.NET>
         <jenkinsmarietta at panola.com>