[Techtalk] Re: Uninstalling SOT office, etc. & SuSE 8.0/KDE 3

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu May 2 15:48:31 EST 2002

At 07:00 AM 05/02/2002, Marian Routh wrote:

>Yes, I'm sorry to say it, but apparently Windows programmers don't have
>a monopoly on what I consider rude software behavior - putting their
>programs in start-up (in the Windows world), associating themselves
>unasked, dumping files all over the hdd and in a non-standard manner,
>and then being difficult to remove.  I must say, though, that this bad
>behavior seems to be the exception rather than the rule in Linux.

It has been reported that SOT is a forked development of openoffice 641C,
with SOT added look and feel, and finnish lang support. Pierre and Malcolm
provided the keys to removing SOT Office in previous messages.

I must admit, before I knew about the /net switch, my first OpenOffice.org
install was frustrating. I have recently signed up on a Debian
OpenOffice.org list, and it appears that there will be a .deb for
OpenOffice.org 1.0 I am still not across what is free and non-free and all
the other naming attributes and things that go into developing a .deb, but
I wonder whether there is there any reason why the .deb package may contain
different things to the tar ball ? This may not be the case, but it's just
what I feel from reading the thread.

Way back when, when the first release of FrameMaker became available (only
on UNIX), I was handed a cartridge tape, with, "here is your desktop
publishing software, the documentation is on the tape". There was a piece
of paper with the license key, and the gem that I needed, the name of the
file on the tape was foo.tar. I still have the notebook from looking up how
to extract and install my software, and print my doco.ps.

Since 8pm (Perth, Western Australia time), I have been participating in the
launch of OpenOffice.org 1.0 which is simply amazing. Apart from getting
the message out there, I have received numerous requests for information,
mirrors, and CDs. What is really great, is the sense of community and
encouragement from other OpenOffice.org contributors.

One of the places the press release that I and others sent out is here:
http://newsvac.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/01/1654236
(Thanks to Tina for prompting me about the HTML formatting)

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)