[Techtalk] W2k NTFS and RHL 7.0

Samantha Blackmon samanthablackmon at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 17 21:41:12 EST 2002

On Sunday 17 March 2002 08:24 pm, your magickal owl delivered this message:
> ** On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:24:11 -0500 Samantha
> <samanthablackmon at yahoo.com>dashed off this message:
>
> pmfji,
>
> **This problem is because W2K has its own bootloader and it takes over,
> with **GRUB I found out that I could go in and make the changes in the
> bootloaders
>
> w2k is notorious for screwing up any Non Microsoft OS.

Yep, that's true

> However , IF you use LILO and install it into the mbr this problem just
> doesn't arise .  (??!)  I don't know GRUB so it might not be posible to
> load it that way.

I have GRUB loaded at the front of the MBR and after a bad experience with
creating a dual boot system on my laptop with Win98 and Mandrake 7.0 a while
back I left LILO alone (call me chicken).

> The only hassle I get from w2k now is, any time I boot into it, when
> switching back to Linux it complains that the drive wasn't properly shut
> down and does fsck for a while.

I have never had this happen, maybe someone else knows why this happens?