[Techtalk] RE: [Newchix] W2k NTFS and RHL 7.0

Debra anarchomom at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 13:54:02 EST 2002

I completely wiped the harddrive and installed XP
first. But instead of using the whole drive during the
installation (which is the default option), I created
a partition that used half the drive space, then
installed on that. (It lets you do this in 2000
installation as well).

Rebooted, then installed Mandrake 8.1, selected the
option "use free space" (which was the other half of
my drive) and let Mandrake set up my partitions for
Linux.

Now when I boot, I get the Mandrake screen, but one of
my options to select is NT (XP was built on an NT
base, so I guess that's how Mandrake interprets it). I
select it and boot into XP quite nicely.

Debra

--- Gretchen Tollefson <gretchen_t at myrealbox.com>
wrote:
> Being very new to this myself, I don't have all the
> answers.  However, it is
> possible to dual NTFS and ext2, I'm running Mandrake
> 8.1 and Windows XP.
> All I did was install Mandrake (to partition and
> practice), then installed
> Windows, then reinstalled Mandrake.  On the second
> install, I had LILO
> install to the MBR and that took care of Windows
> wanting to take over the
> bootloader.  I'm not sure if Windows 2000 will take
> over again, I've heard
> of that happening, but it doesn't with XP.
>
> Anyway, that's how I took care of it.
> Gretchen

=====
'Students nowadays, complaining they only get 5MBs of disk space! In my day we were lucky if we had one file, and that was /dev/null.'