[Techtalk] Installing applications - a big thank-you!

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Sun Jul 7 18:54:54 EST 2002

Erin:
> I would still like to master the art of compiling and installing from source

Me too! But most of the time it boils down to:
	./configure
	make install
...and that's that. The next most common problem is the one you just hit:
lots of libraries have a -devel version that also must be installed..
After that comes such fun things as no makefile (often not a problem in
very simple programs) or a Huge List Of Arcane Dependencies (see:
guncash). And sometimes (as with alsa) you may have to install and build
several things. But don't hesitate at all to try again: better than half
the time I just do the two above commands and everything cooks up just
right.

Dave