[Techtalk] simple reference book on Linux

Kristina Jareckaite kristi at erdves.lt
Thu Jan 31 20:34:20 EST 2002

My humble suggestion here. I once came accross quite a nice online Linux
manual for newbies, you can find it at:

http://jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/

As for a book, I'd highly recommend taking a look at Slackware Linux
Unleashed (published by O'Reilly, it seems to me this one hasn't been
mentioned yet...) - or any other Linux distribution "Unleashed" (I know they
do have Red Hat Linux Unleashed as well, unaware if there is anything about
other distributions). In all of those books there are several same (I think
identical, but not sure) chapters. You can find the very basics in the
chapters:

Basic Commands (ch 7)
File System (ch 8)
Bash (ch 10)
and System Administration Basics (ch 38)

I'd suggest reading them in this order because at least for the people I've
helped as yet, it has made sense this way ;] This book is available online so
you don't have to buy it just to realize you find it not worth buying. Well
at least I managed to find it on a Lithuanian free-book site, so I can help
you out with it... if you care enough to drop me a line ;]

 - Kristi -