mutt v. the world (Re: [Techtalk] What I did over the Christmas Holidays!)

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Tue Jan 1 20:57:52 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 09:44:14AM +1100, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:59:02PM -0800, Akkana wrote:
> > But there is one disadvantage of this model: it means that I end
> > up composing all my mail over telnet (or rsh or ssh or whatever)
> > connections instead of on my local machine, and I'm forever hitting long
> > network delays (wait 20+ seconds to see what I just typed).  I've long
> > been wanting to come up with a setup so that I can read my mail with
> > telnet/mutt, but compose outgoing mail locally (without having to do a
> > lot of manual saving and ftp'ing of files).  Surely I'm not the only one
> > to have this desire, but I've never seen any mention of a mailer set up
> > that way.  Has anyone heard of such a setup?
>
> With mutt I'd imagine that this is more of an editor issue than a mailer
> issue. mutt's model is to open your chosen editor and point it at a file
> it creates in /tmp containing the mail message to edit (I imagine it can
> be pointed at alternative temp directories).
>
> However, I've never considered how to get it to, for example, open an
> editor on a remote machine, or at least give you a file to edit. I
> suspect this would be difficult for security reasons, but I'll play
> around with the idea a little and let you know how I go.

You should be able to replace the call to an "editor" with a call to a
script, which could do anything you wanted it to do.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Microsoft's goal is domination of the global information business, which is
to say all business. Phone companies, cable television companies, post
offices, stock exchanges, banks, treasury departments -- all of these are
viewed by Microsoft as future competitors.
	--Robert X. Cringely, PBS Columnist