mutt v. the world (Re: [Techtalk] What I did over the Christmas Holidays!)

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Jan 2 10:44:14 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 02:59:02PM -0800, Akkana wrote:
> But there is one disadvantage of this model: it means that I end
> up composing all my mail over telnet (or rsh or ssh or whatever)
> connections instead of on my local machine, and I'm forever hitting long
> network delays (wait 20+ seconds to see what I just typed).  I've long
> been wanting to come up with a setup so that I can read my mail with
> telnet/mutt, but compose outgoing mail locally (without having to do a
> lot of manual saving and ftp'ing of files).  Surely I'm not the only one
> to have this desire, but I've never seen any mention of a mailer set up
> that way.  Has anyone heard of such a setup?

With mutt I'd imagine that this is more of an editor issue than a mailer
issue. mutt's model is to open your chosen editor and point it at a file
it creates in /tmp containing the mail message to edit (I imagine it can
be pointed at alternative temp directories).

However, I've never considered how to get it to, for example, open an
editor on a remote machine, or at least give you a file to edit. I
suspect this would be difficult for security reasons, but I'll play
around with the idea a little and let you know how I go.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>