[Techtalk] Lindows?

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Feb 23 04:11:40 EST 2002

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 10:30:56PM -0500, wny-tc at juno.com wrote:
> Hi.   Keith here in the Depths of the Great Bergen Swamp.
>
> I had the occasion to be working at IBM the last two weeks, (nothing near
> the computer end of things, but in the boiler house) and overheard a
> comment in the cafeteria of something called "Lindows".
>
> This is supposedly a new Linux distro that is combined with Windows so
> one could run either their Linux applications and their Windows
> applications without having to reboot.
>
> The gist of the conversation was that this "Lindows" will solve all of
> the world's problems, make desktops identical and compatible and break
> the back of the Windows monopoly once and for all.
>
> Is this real, or was I hearing a discussion of Vaporware?  I have not
> been back home long enough to dig into this, but my local Linux guru has
> never heard of such a thing...
>
> Any info out there?

Yes, it's real. At least one journalist got a copy and reviewed it.
Sorry I can't find the url.

It is basically a Linux operating system with WINE preinstalled and
configured, plus I'm sure other additions, customizations and
preconfiguring to run Windows software.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net

Whenever I try to do serious work with any Microsoft OS, I constantly get
EXCEPTIONS! It seems that exceptions are the rule with Microsoft.
	--Unknown