[Techtalk] [OT] HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux

Meredydd Luff meredydd at everybuddy.com
Wed Aug 28 16:01:37 EST 2002

Wow - talk about informative...thanks! :-)

Could I make a suggestion, though (even though I'm the wrong sex :-P):
About the section about brain differences, I don't necessarily agree that the
studies are rubbish - the very basic sex-your-brain test at the London
science museum was spookily accurate for such a simple test. My view on it is
that this means precisely sod all about your ability in computing.

Take me, for example. I have a diagnosed sequencing disorder, and according
to my Morrisby profile (which we had to take as part of a careers scheme), my
spatial reasoning is awful (this also fits with anecdotal evidence). By those
arguments, that means I shouldn't be able to code to save my life, but you'll
need a crowbar if you want to keep me away from my gcc (or g++, or javac,
or...). I think that there are probably quite a few differences between men
and women's brains, but I think this serves mainly to add spice and more
approaches to a problem rather than making women somehow unsuitable for
computing.

Ooh - while this email was sitting in my outbox, waiting for our phone to get
a dialtone again, I saw something else, in the section about advertising. The
principal appearance of women in computer ads, I find (at least in my
experience), is not the tightly-clad-vinyl type, but rather the ignorant user
- implying, "Look, <product name> is so easy to use, even a woman can use
it!"   The message seems not just to be that women don't use computers, but,
worse, that they can only use the simple stuff, and certainly never do
anything technical. To me, it smacks of Samuel Johnson (think that's the
name...) and his dictionary "for Women and Other Uneducated Persons" - if
anything worse than "women don't use computers", because the latter is so
blatantly untrue, even to the most chauvanist eye.

I hate the phrase "just my 2 cents", but I can't really think of an effective
replacement - anyone? ;-)

Meredydd

--

MSN Developer, Everybuddy project