[Techtalk] Tape backup/library recommendations

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Wed Aug 21 14:53:45 EST 2002

Hi,

I am currently pricing tape backup and/or tape library solutions for my
employer, and I need to find something both reliable and inexpensive
(low thousands of dollars).  I need about 60GB of capacity, so a 35/70
DLT tape drive is probably OK.  It needs to work on either a Linux
server or a Sun SPARC of one sort or another (we have many).

We have nothing terribly functional right now, which means backups just
aren't getting done.  (What have I walked into???)  So... I want to find
something I can lay hands on quickly and setup with little or no stress
on the hardware side.  I have more than enough experience with Amanda on
the software side of things :)

What I guess I'm looking for are recommendations, both in terms of the
hardware you'd use and your favorite place to buy that's fast, reliable,
and fairly priced.  Who have y'all had good experiences with?

Oh, and I am in the US, so let's limit it to here.

Thanks bunches and then some,
Caity