[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Aug 12 20:33:59 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Mick Timony (Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:42:31PM -0400):
> > Not yet solved, two VPN's I need to connect with.
> If anyone has had success connecting to a Nortel VPN using Linux I'd
> love to hear how you did it. For work I can VPN using Windows and Nortel
> VPN software (that work provides), if I could find a solution to allow
> me to do the same with Linux it would be one less reason to ruin my
> uptime and reboot into Windows.

	Do you know whether Nortel's VPN offering uses PPTP or IPsec or
what?  You might be able to put a packet sniffer on the line, see what
sorts of packets your Windows client sends when it connects, and then
try to find a Linux implementation of that protocol (FreeS/WAN for
IPsec, etc.)  I had to do this recently to connect with the VPN one of
the places that I'm consulting -- I needed to have my Linux box on their
network since all of my pen-test tools are here, but their VPN client
only came for Windows.  It took a lot of fiddling, but I did make it
work (for Symantec's VPN client).

	You seem to be in luck for Nortel.  According to

http://www.nortelnetworks.com/products/01/contivity/vpnclient/faq.html

there should be a Linux VPN client out for their VPN software now.
Contact your vendor and ask them to send you one.

Cheers,
Raven

"I have complete respect for you.  Please join my harem."
  -- Ryan, on seduction techniques