[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Scott scott at scottah.com
Sat Aug 10 13:08:05 EST 2002

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Dave North wrote:
> 16x12 is no problem on any linux (I run there all the time) but Mandrake
> (so far) does the worst job of being a notebook distro of all the majors.
> I never successfully got it up on my Vaio, and a web search will yeild a
> lot of similar results.
> 	All _other_ distros (redhat, debian, suse) were problematic in one
> way or the other, but would eventually work. Some notes about the first
> and last are available at:

Dave-

Thanks for the link, I checked it out and am thinking I might want to
tackle this sometime this weekend.  I have a Vaio GRX 560 with the 16.1
inch screen and the memory stick slot.  It's odd you mention that Mandrake
is problem on laptops, it has been the best for me on the Fujitsu laptop I
have.  I had Suse 8.0, Red Hat 7.2 and Mandrake 8.2 on it and Mandrake has
been the best so far of the three.  I stopped using Suse because of what I
was hearing about their involvement with United Linux and figured I would
bail before I got hooked on it.

Contemplating the switch on the Vaio.....

-Scott