[Techtalk] Lycoris/Redmond Linux Anyone?

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 16 20:53:40 EST 2002

Hi, Keith,

> I have it in a 233 MHz Pentium box, 4.3 GB HD and 64 Meg of PC-100 RAM
> and it "feels" slow.  I am set up within Lycoris's recommended parms,
> but it still feels s-l-o-w.

Is KDE the default desktop, as it is with many distros?  If so, that is
your problem.  KDE is very resource intensive, and 64MB just doesn't cut
it.  I've not used Lycoris, but if they let you change your WM choose
Gnome instead and you will see a definite increase in speed.  Use a
lightweight WM (like IceWM, XFCE, AfterStep, Blackbox, etc...) and it
will positively fly.

FWIW, I think KDE 3.0 is the most advanced and polished GUI for Linux,
but if you don't have a newish box I wouldn't touch it.

All the best,
Caity