[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk digest, Vol 1 #429 - 1 msg

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sat Apr 6 01:42:37 EST 2002

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 08:45:57PM -0800, Tabatha Persad wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Not sure what distros both the boxes are using, or if one is running
> Windows?  Do you have an SSH key set up between them?  Are there different
> versions of SSH on the machines etc?

They are both running Debian, and there is no SSH key set up. However,
it also happens when I use PuTTY from work, so it seems to be related
to the server side. (That's PuTTY on a Win2000 box -- no Linux at work).

Both my Debian boxen are running OpenSSH 3.0.2p1-8.3.

> I ran across the page:
> http://www.networksimplicity.com/board/show.pl?board=2 and one of the links
> there, which seem related to your SSH issue, pointed to
> http://www.networksimplicity.com/board/show.pl?board=2&thread=151 - maybe
> this will give you some clues.
>
> It basically indicates that when a user ssh's from the linux box to the
> windows box it's fine, but doesn't work the other way around.  In the thread
> some folks have pointed the user to ipchains and iptables, and what looks
> like how to find the files and stop them via the "/etc/rc.d/init.d script".
>
> Don't know if it helps at all, but may trigger something if nothing else!

It doesn't seem to apply to my situation.

BTW, I didn't say so specifically, but the logs don't seem to show
anything at all. Unless it's logging somewhere strange.

Any tips on how I might debug it would be good. I know I don't have
the proper information for a good bug report, but I also don't know
what else to do beside checking the logs.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                             http://www.linuxdoc.org

Our legislators are not sufficiently apprized of the rightful limits of
their power; that their true office is to declare and enforce only our
natural rights and duties, and to take none of them from us.
	-- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to F. W. Gilmer, 1816