[Techtalk] lpc Says "No Daemon Present"?

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Thu Oct 18 18:27:32 EST 2001

Hi. I'm trying to get an HP DeskJet 970CXi printer set up on my Mandrake
7.1 box, but I'm getting some weird responses from lpc:

    [root at kitchengod kmactane]# lpc
    lpc> status
    hp-deskjet970:
            queuing is enabled
            printing is enabled
            no entries
            no daemon present
    lpc> up all
    hp-deskjet970:
            printing enabled
            daemon started
    lpc> status
    hp-deskjet970:
            queuing is enabled
            printing is enabled
            no entries
            no daemon present
    lpc> quit
    [root at kitchengod kmactane]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/lpd status
    lpd (pid 29750) is running...
    [root at kitchengod kmactane]#

Why does it claim that no daemon is present, even when I have lpd running,
and I give it the "up" command?

It seems that there actually *is* no daemon present, since attempts to
print result in nothing happening.

My /etc/printcap file looks like this:

# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
#
# This file can be edited with printerdrake or printtool.
#

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL
hp-deskjet970|lp:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp-deskjet970:\
     :mx#0:\
     :sh:\
     :sf:\
     :lp=/dev/lp0:\
     :if=/var/spool/lpd/hp-deskjet970/filter:

Can anyone tell me what's wrong? Thanks in advance.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"I think that somehow/Somewhere inside of us,
  We must be similar/If not the same."
                                                 --Suzanne Vega,
                                                  "Left of Center"