[techtalk] My bad NT day

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Sun May 20 02:15:56 EST 2001

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 11:54:48PM +1000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:

> > I set up Linux to do my internet connection sharing for now.  Does anyone
> > have experience using OpenBSD as a firewall?  Or even, securing up a
> > decent Linux box to share a modem connection and do firewall chores.
>
> I don't have personal experience, but a sysadmin friend of mine swears
> by FreeBSD as a firewall box.

PPP and basic NAT is a lot easier to set up under the BSDs (well, Free and Open anyway -
haven't tried NetBSD). If you want to NAT oddball protocols though you're better off doing
it in Linux - there are dedicated modules for IRC, ICQ, and other misc protocols.

My gateway/firewall box is currently running OpenBSD and although it doesn't handle ICQ
all that well I'm not in a hurry to change.

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679      Room: 2.315, E&EE Dept, School of Eng.
Email: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz  or shout loudly