[techtalk] Yet Another Installation Question

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Sat May 19 09:00:13 EST 2001

> I tend to go for spreading both OSs out over both drives.  It's supposed
> to be a performance thing where /usr is on one disk while /home is on
> another and similarly for Windows.  I don't know how much gain I get on a
> home box (probably not much) but I did it anyhow...

never knew it was a performance gain (not being sarcastic) ... i always
did it out of habit ;P and also for security ... rather than bother with
the quota utils, i just insure i don't have any malicious users who try to
fill up my disk cause me any trouble.

> Interestingly, "coldfire" mentioned how with "cable select" jumpered on
> the HDs, the linux drive would become /dev/hda for the install and then
> /dev/hdb after the 'doze drive is reconnected.  Does anyone know if you
> can set the linux HD to "Slave", disconnect the 'doze drive (which is
> "Master") and install have linux see the Slave HD as /dev/hdb or will the
> box just not boot?

you've got the right idea :)  there's a jumper setting on the back of most
hard drives (haven't seen one w/o it) .. you can select cable select
(where it negotiates on it's own), master, or slave.

> My personal preference would be to disconnect the 'doze HD, start the
> linux install and go as far as partitioning the HD and making filesystems.
> Then I'd kill the box, reconnect the 'doze disk and restart the linux
> install.  At that stage, the partitioning (which is really the dangerous
> bit) is done and the linux partitions should show up as linux native when
> choosing the disk layout and all should be well.

and this seems like a pretty flawless approach :)

abe