[techtalk] vmware

the purple poetry goddess dmarie at drizzle.com
Thu May 17 15:11:58 EST 2001

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Rose wrote:

> I am interested in vmware and would love to hear from others who have
> used this. I just emailed them in hopes of getting an academic discount.
>
> On the other hand Im all for ending the clutter of two boxes on my desk
> and giving one to someone who needs one and using Wine for the major
> apps I run like Photoshop 6 and Illustrator. That is if they will work
> under wine. I need to investigate that further.
>
> O/T: My sons Dad called me today all happy, it appears as though page
> 226 of O'Reillys  Perl for Sys Admin says something about his open
> source baby freetds.org, awww!

	I am using VMware at home, and I must agree that the best feature
	is not crashing the whole box, just the window.  I also am very
	appreciative of the fact that if you corrupt the Windows system
	by some installation or configuration, you can regress.  In fact,
	I keep a special "clean" work installation of Win98 and all my
	work-related applications, so if I need to regress, it takes about
	2 minutes.

	I personally find that Win98 is far less likely to crash under
	VMware than on an actual box.  My friend theorizes that it is
	because Win98 is being presented with an "ideal" machine setup.

	The only real "problem" I encountered recently was when my
	cursor response started getting slower and slower.  Turns out
	that the xserver had "been up too long" and needed to be
	restarted.  That said, I haven't rebooted my Linux box in
	120 days, and my VMware session in over 2 weeks.

	My only wish for VMware is joystick support.  I hear that it
	is on the "to-do" list.

	I believe that the "hobbyist" rate is no longer around, but they
	say they have an educational discount.  Don't know what that is.

		Dawn-Marie

		"How much change is needed before something is no
		 longer the same?"