[techtalk] vmware

Amanda Owens mur at drakin.adsl.duke.edu
Thu May 17 13:49:22 EST 2001

Hello Rose,

Now, I'm a bit biased, but when I want to use Windows applications, I use
Win4Lin. It's faster than VMWare, and it's cheaper than VMWare ($89 for a
CD set, $59 for download). Though the current version doesn't allow
Windows Networking, there's a new version comming out soon that will allow
for this via a virtual NIC card (like VMWare). Most software seems to run
on it fine (though it doesn't support DirectX so most newer games won't
run). I know for a fact that MS Office 2K, Framemaker and Photoshop all
run great under Win4Lin.

That said, I've heard that Wine is great if you can get it to work (I've
never had luck, myself, but then I haven't played with it much). VMWare
does have it's place - it offers support for some software and devices
that Win4Lin does not (No external SCSI or USB support for Win4Lin
currently, and it only runs Windows 95/98).

For more information on Win4Lin, visit www.netraverse.com

Mur!