[techtalk] (dumb) Solaris Q

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu May 17 15:05:25 EST 2001

So this was sort of the problem (the nsswitch.conf).

When I installed, I swear I selected DNS. I entered the DNS servers. All
was good. BUT the installer copied the DEFAULT /etc/nsswitch.conf over
from /etc/nsswitch.files instead of the /etc/nsswitch.dns (which uses name
resolution instead of *nothing*).

So all I did was cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf and it works now!

I changed the domain servers back over to the local ones and I get inside
and outside resolution just fine. Both of these changes were dynamic, I
did not have to reboot to get them to work. (SO that answers another
question :o))

Thanks all for your help.

-nicole

At 13:40 on May 17, mc combined all the right letters to say: