[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #449 - 9 msgs

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun May 13 01:17:27 EST 2001

Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:

> I am sure I am not the only person concerned on this list, or lurking, I
> think you should share any other things you are aware of as a system
> admin that allow someone into the system or give root access through
> ways other than the normal channels as well as they ways to close these
> things off.

I think that if you're that worried, hie yourself to a bookstore or
a good library and pick up an O'Reilly book. You'll get better
information that way than you possibly could from an email from me.

I can't write a dissertation on *nix security in a five-minute
email chat. If I'm going to spend more time than that discussing
*nix security, I'm going to make it a proper, thought-through article.

Your documentation was inadequate. You still haven't told us which
it was, but you implied a mandrake system and someone else has stated
that the mandrake docs aren't the world's best.

I strongly recommend either checking the Linux Documentation Project
at http://www.linuxdoc.org/ or - better - borrowing an O'Reilly Linux
system administration book from a library. Either will give you a
better and more comprehensive response than any braindump from me
possibly could.

Especially since I've not done much professional sysadmin or security
work in the last few years.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/