[techtalk] Re: techtalk digest, Vol 1 #449 - 9 msgs

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Sun May 13 00:50:12 EST 2001

Linda MacPhee-Cobb wrote:

> The comment about the janitor was good, and that gets right to the heart
> of it.  I do not expect the janitor to know enough or be interested
> enough to dismantle the beast and pull out the hd to read on another
> machine.  I do expect something as trivally worked around as root
> password in a few steps to be something well with in most peoples reach
> and motivation level.

Whereas my experience with non- or mildly- computer literate people
is the other way around. Pulling out a hard drive is considerably
easier for people - it involves skills they already know. (how to
use a screwdriver)

> I just went to a friend's house a few weeks ago and put win2000, bios
> passwords, no boot but from hd, so they can stop their teen sons from
> downloading porn.  These children know a bit, but not enough to work
> around that.

Um. We've repeatedly told you a variety of ways to disable runlevel
1//single user mode.

That it was not in whichever manual you have (and you STILL haven't
deigned to tell us which one) doesn't mean it's not documented, and
doesn't mean it's bad design. It's a configuration option, set on
by default in some distributions, set off by default in others.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/