[techtalk] botched newbie kernel compile

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue May 8 18:06:55 EST 2001

'Lo again all...

> I leave in the "prompt" and "timeout" lines but include
>
> password=<SECRET>
>
> and "restricted" in the default image section
>
> This has the effect of booting to the default kernel after the timeout but
> allowing other options if required but only if the password is supplied.
> That way, you can do stuff like "linux single" for troubleshooting or boot
> experimental kernels without worrying about security.

Hmmm...good point.  I commented out prompt and timeout figuring that for
troubleshooting I'd bust out the trusty floppy, which has lilo installed
with those features enabled.  That floppy is, of course, locked up.  On the
other hand, if the machine crashes and that floppy goes bad...sad, sad
sysadmin.

> Doing all the make menuconfig blah blah right down to "make modules
> install" produces a set of modules in
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0-faenor-firewall-ipmasqadm
>
> while the original set of modules for hobbiton are in
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0
>
> I can tar up the firewall modules along with its kernel and install
> without messing up the system I compiled on

VERY cool.  I'll keep that in mind for the future...

-Brian