[techtalk] botched newbie kernel compile

Daniel Manrique roadmr at entropia.com.mx
Tue May 8 12:48:29 EST 2001

> Rebooting using the 2.2.17 that I originally had, and again following the
> HOWTO, I 'make bzImage'd, replaced /vmlinuz (which appears to have been a
> symlink to something in /boot) with /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage0
> and ran lilo, then tried to reboot.
> Currently at boot, after the hardware does its thing, "LIL-" appears, then
> nothing happens.

You should never replace your existing, working kernel with your newly
compiled one.. until you've confirmed the new one works. Instead, add
another image to LILO's list like this:

#this is the original kernel
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
        label=linux-old
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5
#this is the new kernel
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.4
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

Notice that all the kernels reside in /boot ...

> I would like to munge things so I can boot from my old 2.2.17 kernel OR my
> 2.4.4 kernel (which, since the boot disk worked, I am guessing I put in
> place wrong?), AND learn how to do it right next time.  Ugh. Help the
> newbie? Please?

You mentioned having created a bootdisk and booting 2.4.4 from it. Can't
you do that again?

	- Roadmaster

*
Save a tree- use E-Mail!			roadmr at entropia.com.mx