[techtalk] Debian.. and now X

Charl Pretorius shaqiel at vukanet.co.za
Tue Mar 13 07:18:47 EST 2001

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 00:33, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> thanks to being pointed in the right direction here, I did lots of reading
> and now have x and KDE running on my debian install.
>
> One teeny problem is that I cant get this monitor to run at anything more
> than 640x480 despite it being able to do up to 1024x768, i'd like it at
> 800x600 but everything I try it just won't start the x server
>
> Any pointers? I've always used redhat and it probed the card and always got
> the res right so I dont really know what settings it should be at.
>

> Rachel Andrew
> http://www.rachelandrew.co.uk
> i know there is strength in the differences between us and i know there is
> comfort where we overlap - ani difranco

Rachel,

It might be that your monitor's Vsync and Hsync is not correct. You won't get
higher resolution if you refresh rates aren't right. Maybe you still have the
monitor's manual? Otherwise I found that it's usually safe to use Hsync:
31.5-54 and Vsync: 50-100. You can hot edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file and
add it there.

Hope this helps

--
Regards,
Charl Pretorius

Network Admin
Vukanet
+27 12 362 2926

Linux is like a WigWam: No gates. No Windows. With Apache inside