[techtalk] Debian.. and now X

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Mon Mar 12 18:21:02 EST 2001

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 10:33:53PM +0000, Rachel Andrew wrote:
> Hi
>
> thanks to being pointed in the right direction here, I did lots of reading
> and now have x and KDE running on my debian install.
>
> One teeny problem is that I cant get this monitor to run at anything more
> than 640x480 despite it being able to do up to 1024x768, i'd like it at
> 800x600 but everything I try it just won't start the x server
>
> Any pointers? I've always used redhat and it probed the card and always got
> the res right so I dont really know what settings it should be at.

If you hit 'control+alt+('+' key on number pad)' does your resolution
change?  If so you can edit /etc/X11/XF86Config so that resolution is
your default.  Post back if you do have the res you want and don't know
how to do that.

If you don't have multiple resolutions available I would run -
/usr/bin/X11/XF86Setup
this time select the resolution you want.  XF86Setup creates
XF86Config so you might want to make a backup of XF86Config to
fall back on.
hth,
kent

--