[issues] Re: [techtalk] Desktop OS?

x cthulhu at blarg.net
Wed Jun 6 21:07:33 EST 2001

No offence taken, I just wanted to state that the fact bothered me, not the
dismissal. You're right that I am/will be statistically insignificant to the
success of Linux as a desktop OS. But I am and have been an ambassador for
the product. I have a lot of fun playing with it, even though I don't really
know what I'm doing.

I hope Linux, in any or all incarnations, can break the stranglehold MS has
on the desktop market. I think the competition would be good for everyone
involved. If we can only figure out a way to make it palatable to the
masses, and find a business model that works with a product that is free.

Thanks for such a thoughtful analysis. I am learning a ton on the Linuxchix
lists (I've been subscribed for about 2 years now) and someday I do want to
be a "true geek." My goal is to be a programmer writer instead of a tech
writer, but I need to learn programming first...

This has been one of the best discussions I've seen in quite a while. Thanks
to those who started it! And I'm very glad to hear from everyone who has not
had my Microsoft-only experience.

KCB