[techtalk] system administration responsibilities question

Yvonne lemur at pobox.com
Wed Jun 6 17:39:45 EST 2001

Hi, all. I'm unlurking here... Here is a question for anyone who deals
with the web in some way in their system administration job...
actually, for any sysadmin...  If you are the system administrator over
a (web) server, do you administer
all the services on that box? Including databases? We have maybe 16-20
Linux (mostly) and SCO servers running
various services. My boss wants me to let him know what services are
running on our two web servers including apache, samba,
mysql, etc. and he is thinking of delegating responsibilities across the
servers to four of us... a "web admin", Unix admin,
NT admin, and network support person--his words were, he wants the
services divided into "discrete parts to be allocated
to individuals."  Is this the way it's done in the "real world?" Or does
it vary, according to the size of the company?

I was hired on as the administrator of two NT web servers, then we
switched to Linux, the guy who hired me left, the new
boss thought I was only doing the web part of administration, and gave
the system administration over to the Unix admin. I'm
left with very little system administration, really, none to speak
of...Now my boss is looking for some other service to turn over
to me, rather than one box.  It's a little frustrating, since I want to
do system administration, and I'm not getting the experience...

Thanks,
Yvonne