[techtalk] file sharing?

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jul 26 11:25:36 EST 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 05:41:07PM -0700, markthegeek at canada.com wrote:
> Thank you for the advise, but how do I do an FTP between two machines that
> are sharing one internet connection that doesn't have a router or hub? :) Of
> course I could use a dial-up account with NetZero or whatever on the Windows
> machine to send via FTP, but that wouldn't work too well with 30-40 meg
> files and 1 phone line for voice and data :)
>
> Unless of course I can somehow FTP through a local network that was
> conencted via the two network cards...  but I'm not 100% clear how to do
> that.

Using either Samba or FTP, you are making a direct connection between the two
machines, which requires that they be connected via a local network. A local
network without a hub involves getting an appropriate cable that is set up for
crosslinking computers, plugging it into both network crads, and assigning
each computer a private IP address (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 would work)
and setting their broadcast address and netmask appropriately. This would be a
pain when you have to hook one back up to the net, in which case all that
needs to be different. Setting up a separate networking script would be good
here.

If you want to understand more about networking, I'd poke around in
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html - especially the
Home Network Mini Howto, some of the Dialup FAQs, perhaps the Windows LAN
server Howto, and of course the overview.

How exactly are they sharing the internet connection? Are they in fact already
connected to one another already, in which case you might already have an
internal network? I don't quite understand how they can share the internet
connection otherwise.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner