[techtalk] /usr/local/include

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Wed Jan 24 11:33:29 EST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Darren wrote:

> I upgraded from RH 6.1 to 7.0, and one of the (many) things that's been
> changed as a result was that my backspace key no longer acted like a
> backspace key. In the course of trying to fix it, I was trying to compile
> the one-line of C code on this page:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/BackspaceDelete/system.html
>
> Using the provided instructions, and gcc returned the message
> "/usr/local/include: not a directory". Sure enough, it wasn't a
> directory. In looking to see if others had this problem, I found a comment
> that somebody noticed that RH 7.0 puts C header files (which I assume to
> be the whatever.h files) in a non-standard location. I did some poking
> around, and found a bunch in /usr/include. On a hunch, I made a symbolic
> link from /usr/local/include to /usr/include, and the program compiled
> properly. So my question now is, is this sufficient for the long-term, or
> is this an indication of other issues that I should be worried about?

[sorry for quoting all that ...]

imho the std location for c headers (*.h) _is_ /usr/include. to my
still-not-quite-awake mind it looks like your gcc is looking for headers
in the wrong place (/usr/local/include) and for some reason not in
/usr/include. btw, the program compiled on my rh7.0 system.

--
marie