[techtalk] /usr/local/include

Darren darren at osadchuk.org
Tue Jan 23 23:23:09 EST 2001

I upgraded from RH 6.1 to 7.0, and one of the (many) things that's been
changed as a result was that my backspace key no longer acted like a
backspace key. In the course of trying to fix it, I was trying to compile
the one-line of C code on this page:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/BackspaceDelete/system.html

Using the provided instructions, and gcc returned the message
"/usr/local/include: not a directory". Sure enough, it wasn't a
directory. In looking to see if others had this problem, I found a comment
that somebody noticed that RH 7.0 puts C header files (which I assume to
be the whatever.h files) in a non-standard location. I did some poking
around, and found a bunch in /usr/include. On a hunch, I made a symbolic
link from /usr/local/include to /usr/include, and the program compiled
properly. So my question now is, is this sufficient for the long-term, or
is this an indication of other issues that I should be worried about?