[techtalk] Woes :\

Amy amy at bpsinet.com
Thu Jan 4 14:18:53 EST 2001

I am assuming you are using Outlook Express on a
windows machine...if you aren't, these instructions
for troubleshooting won't mean much. If you are
on a Mac, I can provide some help there as well.

There's a GOOD chance nothing is wrong with the
mail server, and every chance that something is wrong
with Outlook Express. I deal with this everyday as
internet tech support. First, if you have Norton
anti-virus installed, you should check to make sure
that the incoming mail server name under Tools,
Accounts, Mail tab, Properties of the account,
and Servers says your mail server, and not the loopback
IP of 127.0.0.1. The reason for this is that whenever
Norton has a slower network, e-mail times out
when it tries to route your e-mail through them
to scan it before downloading it to you.
Also, on the same page, some mail servers
may or may not require the two bottom checks. Ours
don't, so I usually check that, because it causes problems
if people DO have them checked. Also, Check the Advanced
tab and make sure that nothing is checked there unless you
are *supposed* to be using SSL connections. Some of this
stuff has been known to 'magically' change overnight, I know
that sounds like hooey, but I myself have experienced this
phenomenon with OE.

Amy