[Techtalk] eth0 appears to be configured correctly but can't ping across network

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 21:49:57 EST 2001

>         Could you paste the output of route -n to the list so we can see
>it?  I just want to make sure there's nothing wonky going on with that.
>The lack of gateway pingability is suspicious.  Also, have you tried
>flushing and re-adding your routing statements?  Sometimes that helps,
>too.

output of route -n

Kernel IP Routing Table
Destination     Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref        Use Iface
10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U       0       0       0
     eth0
0.0.0.0 10.0.0.10       0.0.0.0         UG      0       0       0       eth0

i've removed them with route and then done add to put them back, I've
reinstalled from scratch again, I can bring eth0 up and down with ifconfig
and it looks like it ought to work... but doesn't.

>         Where are the routing statements configured?  Are you using
>linuxconf or some such, or did you add the default route to one of your
>startup scripts, or what?

I added the info during the debian install. I don't have so much as a
decent text editor on this system as yet as I need net access to install
stuff. I don't seem to have tcpdump either

It's a new box, but the nic has been tested and does work as do the cables
etc. All that is on it is a very bare bones debian system. I've done this
before on a different machine, same nic and it 'just worked' so i'm not
sure where else I can look for info or things to configure.

Rachel