[Techtalk] eth0 appears to be configured correctly but can't ping across network

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Wed Dec 26 16:43:56 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth coldfire (Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:03:01PM -0500):

> > I can ping the card and the machine name from itself but I can't
> > ping my gateway (ISDN router) or any other machines on the network
> > and I can't ping this box from any other machine. The only unusual
> > thing I have found so far is if I do
> > route
> > localnet appears immediately, the default gateway takes about 5
> > minutes to appear. When it does appear it looks correct (as compared
> > to my other box with a similar configuration) however I still have
> > no access into or out of this box.
>
> 'route' was probably trying to lookup a hostname for your default gateway.
> issue a 'route -n' and that will show the routing table with just
> numerical addresses.

	Could you paste the output of route -n to the list so we can see
it?  I just want to make sure there's nothing wonky going on with that.
The lack of gateway pingability is suspicious.  Also, have you tried
flushing and re-adding your routing statements?  Sometimes that helps,
too.

	Where are the routing statements configured?  Are you using
linuxconf or some such, or did you add the default route to one of your
startup scripts, or what?

	The tcpdump suggestion is also a great one for debugging.

Cheers,
Raven

"Nobody 'manages' IT.  It simply entropies."
  -- Rafe, on the number of "Come As You Aren't" attendees who came as
     some form of IT management.