[Techtalk] PPP & Slackware

Jennifer Davis jsd at jenn.ca
Sun Dec 16 05:04:16 EST 2001

Hi,

	I just finished installing Slackware on a friend's PC today and
all seems to be running well.  Things are more or less better than expected.

	The only problem I am running into is PPP.  It connects fine, as root, we can start
PPP and do all the PPP things that one needs, but as a user, using the
gnome dialler, I get an error message stating that the pppd daemon has
died unexpectedly, and I can't run ppp-go at all as a user.

	I assume that we are having permission issues, but since I never
have needed to use ppp dialup (I have pppoe adsl).  I was wondering if
anyone had any suggestions to solutions.  One solution is to write a shell
script that would start and stop it as root, but my scripting skill is not
there.  I was also hoping to apply this to disk mounting.  That is going
to be a tough concept to teach....oh well.

	Thanks in advance.