[Techtalk] Question about DNS

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Fri Dec 7 17:33:55 EST 2001

Heya --

Quoth jennyw (Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:41:18AM -0800):
> I think the problem is fixed.

	[cheers]

> I used to think the first name server would be
> contacted before the second, but now realize that the second name server can
> be contacted, too.

	Yeah.  So if one is right and the other is wrong, you see weird
spotty connectivity.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  This is
why when doing DNS cutovers it's good to reduce the cache time in
advance, and to have the same information on the old and new servers
before the cutover.  It minimizes weirdness.

	You could always try politely e-mailing hostmaster at stanford.edu
and giving them all the symptoms and information that you can.  You may
get no response (hostmasters are usually busy people), but it's worth a
shot.

Cheers,
Raven

"I am stronger than him.  I will duct tape him and put him in my Santa bag."
  -- Louis, on SantAnarchy in DC