[techtalk] How about SGML editors? (was: Any good HTML editors for Linux?)

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Wed Apr 4 09:18:30 EST 2001

jennyw wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good HTML (non-WYSIWYG or
> WYSIWYG that supports non-WYSIWYG) for Linux?  Pros and cons would be great,
> and also whether they require KDE or Gnome (I run Gnome usually).

Have you tried Amaya? Available from the W3C (http://www.w3.org).
I know it works under Gnome, haven't played with it much more than
to discover that it's not precisely what *I* wanted, but it might
suit you.

And on my new topic:
Along the same lines, anyone know of a good SGML (pref Docbook, but
any SGML editor)? For any platform?

What I MOST need is the ability to edit stylesheets without having
to hack the nwalsh DSSSL lisp-like stuff. The ability to edit the
stylesheets in less than a day/week/month's serious hacking... :)

I want to use some sort of context formatting for my tech writing -
which will range from the usual programmers-stuff which Docbook is
terrific for as it stands, to stuff for managers which needs to (for
instance) NOT have section numbering.

So I want to be able to edit multiple style sets. Have the standard
Docbook style set for programmers-stuff, have a variant for user
tutorials, another for user manuals, another for business proposals...

Advice? Help? Tea?

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/