[techtalk] Any good HTML editors for Linux?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Apr 3 23:41:54 EST 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:13:35PM -0700 or thereabouts, jennyw wrote:
> [...]

Whilst flattered by Bex's opinions, I should confess I have absolutely
no idea how to configure emacs. I never even finished the tutorial :)
I use my favourite text editor (joe :)) for HTML and DocBook (both of
which involve similar ideas: lots of tags to mark up). I cheat by
having a bunch of tiny 'template' files. One has a list of DTDs I
use commonly. One has a collection of pieces of different ways to
mark up lists. One has standard stuff that tends to go at the bottom
of most of my HTML pages. One has the <artheader> and <bookinfo>
for the top of DocBook docs. I use X for this, and just cut and
paste liberally between windows and fill in the gaps :) I would
rather like joe to spot I am closing a tag and fill the stuff in,
but I can't be bothered to find out whether it's possible.

Having said that, when I started messing with DocBook, I tried
Emacs and the PSGML mode, and it -rocked-. Suddenly I could see
why Emacs advocates were so vocal.

Alas, joe uses the control and escape keys a lot, and whilst ^A,
^E and so on are the same, the commands for marking sections, moving
them, and erasing them are just different enough to make editing
without thought dangerous. Too much "Damn, I am using which editor?
That was the "delete that section" key combo, then? Oops..." for me.

I have seen Bluefish recommended, but -- don't laugh -- I can't
figure out how to use it. I've never used word processors or
WYSIWYG applications. Not through some moral objection. It was
simply that I never met them. I learned HTML and DocBook whilst
using text editors. I am completely baffled when it comes to
any WYSIWYG app as a result! I can't even use the composers in
Netscape or Mozilla. If this is how people used to such apps feel
when faced with a HTML, XML or anything else file and a text editor,
I have great sympathy for them. It's just a different way of thinking.

Telsa

P.S. Bex: it's nothing to do with "smart". 90% of it is two things:
knowing where to find answers, and having the confidence to try it.