[techtalk] Gnome and Redhat 6.1 woes

Lilly S. lilly at shellyeah.org
Fri Jul 21 12:25:27 EST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Britta Koch wrote:

> a) How can I tell gdm to use German keyboard mappings in the login
> dialog? I hate it when I can't login because of a different keyboard
> layout...

In Redhat, it's in /usr/sbin/kbdconfig or if it's not there, you can do a
locate to see where it is in your system.

> b) What is the file where I tell gdm (or x) what programs to start? Is
> it .Xclients, .xinitrc or .xsessionrc? And can I stop it from starting
> gnome-session?

It in /etc/inittab. If you vi it, you'll see an entry like this:

#Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#  0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#  1 - Single user mode
#  2 - Multiuser, withut NFS
#  3 - Full multiuser mode
#  4 - unused
#  5 - X11
#  6 - reboot
#
id:5:initdefault:

Change the last line to say

id:3:initdefault or 2 depending on your NFS.

Hope that helps.

L.