[techtalk] Telnet banner for SSHD

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 24 19:03:27 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 24-Feb-100 [techtalk] Telnet banner fo.. by
Subba Rao at attglobal.net
> I am using Open SSH on my system. Is there anyway to prevent the
> SSHD from revealing the process name or version number?

You mean the, for example, SSH-1.5-1.2.27 which the server sends after
accepting a connection on its listening port?

It's not a telnet banner, it's a part of the ssh protocol.  You can
change some of it without breaking it, but if you can't figure out what
you can change and how to do it, you shouldn't.  Why you would want to,
I have no idea.  Security through obscurity won't help you if you're
running a vulnerable sshd.