[techtalk] X Mail client recommendations

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Sat Feb 19 08:04:51 EST 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Dan McGarry wrote:
[deletia]
> This brings up a very important (to me) point: I like to keep *all* my
> messages, and I'd love to be able to access them programmtically in the
> future, in order to process and index them, then write a search interface
> for them.

Hi Dan,

>From the sounds of things, you should take a look at Rememberance Agent.

http://rhodes.www.media.mit.edu/people/rhodes/RA/

Note:  Brad hasn't posted V.2.07 yet, so there's at least one rather
significant error in the README, relating to setting load-path in your
.emacs file.

(setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name "~/elisp") load-path)))

...should be

(setq load-path (append (list (expand-file-name "~/elisp")) load-path))

The "list" close-parenth should appear before load-path, not after.  If
you put it after, you nuke your old load-path and emacs becomes
considerably more difficult to use.

I have it set up on my machine to index my e-mail (including archived
messages), netscape cache, and /usr/doc files.  I have almost 121MB of
e-mail, so it certainly helps to have that kind of search capability. :-)

Andrew.

--

Andrew Plumb, VE3SLG
mailto://andrew(at)plumb(dot)org