[techtalk] Setting up Dynamic DNS for ppp settings

Sean Garrett (The MIdnight Blue Dragon) df at crowdata.co.za
Sun Feb 6 20:28:17 EST 2000

hi :)

from the PPP-FAQ
( I didnt know what Dynamic DNS was but now i do - we all learn )

<quote>
12.6 My provider wants to use a dynamic DNS address which is not the same with
every connection. Yet, Linux wants just one address in the /etc/resolv.conf file.
This works with Microsoft Windows 95, but how do I make it work with Linux?

Run a local \cache-only\ nameserver on your own Linux system.

Instructions on running the nameserver are in the Named-HOWTO. The only file
which you need to obtain from the internet to enable the nameserver
is the named.boot file. This is available from the ftp site at ds.internic.net.
Then, use the address 127.1 as the address of the nameserver.

You will need to create a named.boot file as well as a primary for a dummy domain
which will hold your localhost name and a primary domain for the
127 IP network. Again, instructions on how to do this are in the Named-HOWTO
file.
</quote>

i hope this answers your question :)

--
--------
"Real Programmers Dont Work 9 to 5. If a Real Programmer is in at 9 in
DarkFlame at timewiz.zanet.net
http://www.icon.co.za/~df